Wednesday, January 7, 2009

We're in Romania!!!

Hello everyone! I know you've been waiting to hear how the first few days have gone so far. Things are going quite well. We got here on Sunday afternoon - thankfully Maylee did quite well on all the flights. Poor girl, she was battling a cold the whole trip and then had a fever for a couple of days. Spencer and Justin (the other guy in our group) gave Maylee a blessing on Monday night at the peak of her fever and she has been getting better ever since. I am so grateful we have two worthy Priesthood holders here. Brittany and Justin just live across the hall from us so that makes it very nice. Maylee still has a little bit of a cough, but for the most part is feeling better. Now if we could just get her little body adjusted to the time change! She has been getting up in the middle of the night and staying awake for 2-3 hours even when all the lights are out and we don't play. So, none of us have gotten a very good night's rest yet. Hopefully in the next couple of days we will!

As far as life here goes, we have a grocery store and mall close by that we go to just to wander around and let Maylee get out of the apartment. She loves going up and down the escalators and hates leaving! We've eaten a couple authentic Romanian foods so far and the best has been their doughnuts we tried yesterday. They are so yummy! They're kindof like a scone with Nutela-like filling.

We don't start working in the orphanage for another week or so. It's been nice to just be able to relax and get used to being here. Especially with Maylee. Spencer and I never imagined how hard it would be for her to adjust being here. Everything familiar to her is gone except for Mom and Dad and a few toys and so she seems to feel pretty confused and always wants to leave our apartment (maybe in hopes to find her old house). Even the milk tastes different and she hasn't gotten used to that yet. Maybe this is good practice for us when Spencer's back in the military and we have to live overseas. I definately will be better prepared to deal with how hard it is for children to adjust to such drastic changes all at once.

Well, we will add a few pictures in the next day or so. And we hope you all are doing well. We love you and ask that you keep us in your prayers. Now Spencer's sick with what Maylee had and we hope he's on the mend too.

4 comments:

Heather said...

I'm glad you guys got there safe! Glad to hear that Maylee is feeling a little better! Hopefully we can all get rid of this gunk! I'm excited to follow up with your trip! Love you guys!

Heather said...

Do you guys know where I might find Jen Burton?

RoseAnna said...

Hey Steph. I've been checking to see if you guys made it there safe! That is so great that you made it there safe. So, can I ask what exactally you guys are doing over there? It seems like such an adventure, I want to know more details. I hope you can continue to adjust to things and know that we will keep you in our prayers. Love ya!

the Kates said...

Stephanie-
I can't believe I found you! How are you doing? This is just fabulous. Romania, huh? That is great. So, I would love to be blogging buddies if you want to- just email me and I can invite you. wooldawgsheep@yahoo.com

p.s. you have the CUTEST little girl